Saturday 4 August 2007

Himara

In Albania I must recommend a drive along the coast between Vlore and Saranda. It is slower and ın worse condition than other Albanian roads, but the reward is the breathtaking landscape as you cross a mountain pass. When driving downhill we tried not to scream as a Mercedes-Benz, overtaking on a blind bend forced us to the edge of the unguarded 1000 m drop. Then in the middle of nowhere we reached Himara, an unspoiled village inhabited by a friendly Greek minority, with a pleasant beach bar. There are no tourist crowds in Himara. I guess Greek Ioannian coast looked like that decades ago.



1 comment:

danielskantze said...

Truly breathtaking!!! Looks exactly like Greece as I remember it (duh). :-) On this last day of my vacation, I can't say how much I would like to be where you are now...