Tuesday 2 October 2007

From my prison of clothes:

Iran in fantastic in most ways but there are obviously some problems for a tourist. Especially so for a female tourist. I will not be nuanced, I hate the Hijab (dress code for women). Besides the unpractical aspects, -it is still hot here- there is something horrible in the feeling of being forced to wear something. And not only because of this but in general as a woman I feel demoralized in the Islamic Republic. I can mention three reasons why:

-The presence of "the ghosts", that is the women in black Chador (tent). Sometimes they wear black gloves and a black, semi-transparent piece of cloth over their face. To me it signalizes that they should not be seen at all, hardly even exist, they are not even worth to be noticed, if they could they would turn invisible. How could any god ever create a beautiful female body and then mean it to be hidden as if it was something ugly and shameful? (note: I do not have to wear this, just cover hair, arms, legs and feet and not wear anything tight.)

-The feeling of always risking to be inappropriate. I am constantly aware of other people looking at me. What if my sleeves are too short, too much hair is sticking out under the scarf and so on. As if the sight of my body would offend people around me.

-The male behavior towards me. I am afraid to reach out my hand to men as shaking a womans hand (who is not your wife) is forbidden for a religious man. Some do shake my hand but sometimes they just stare at it as if I was presenting them with a snake or something.

But many people look at me with friendly smiles and they constantly make contact and are very concerned about us to like Iran. It is just that one hostile look outweighs the rest.

No comments: