Tuesday 18 September 2007

Lenin Baba

Azeri border officials proved extremely efficient after I told them that Armenian customs were extremely corrupt and inefficient. None the less our luggage was ransacked and a map of Yerevan and Russian flyer on the Armenian genocide seized. First town you come across in Azerbaijan is Balakan. The excellent guidebook suggested seeing a sad WW2 memorial with a decapitated unknown soldier and an eternal fire that went out. We were disappointed finding a new cable car running to the site with a new statue, possibly of Heyder Aliyev, still veiled at the moment. Luckily enough we found a sewn in half pink-granite Lenin statue that has been dumped in ex-industrial waste land.

2 comments:

danielskantze said...

That picture is so amazing of you Peter. Couldn't you use it as profile picture on facebook?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Daniel!
I remember reading in the papers about all the statues of Lenin and Stalin that were destroyed, but I only saw a couple of pictures of them. These two are really something! Especially good together I think - but in a pictureshow I would put the one of Peter on Lenin´s head before the other one.