Saturday 8 September 2007

Aragats

Yerevan is hot. The only way to escape the heat is to drive up in the mountains. The closest is Aragats, the highest mountain in Armenia. The road from Yerevan winds 65km up and ends 3200m high at the cosmic ray institute and meteorological station. We found a perfect camping spot by the Kari Lich lake. Right away one of the meteorologists spotted us and invited us for a tea. We ended drinking pear brandy and sleeping at the station, only disturbed by the wolf who took a stroll in the neighbourhood. High altitude and hangover is not best hiking combination. No matter how, we reached the top of the 4000m high southern peak.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you comment our comments? ;)

Anna said...

I did!

danielskantze said...

Oh, I feel I go "ooh wow", and: "oh, those breathtaking views" all the time but I simply have nothing else to say when I see these photos... I have said it before and I will say it again: What an amazing journey you are on.

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad agree with Daniel – what a journey!!!
Anna you must take better care – Dad did not like the 60 meter ladder!
Kebnekaise kan slänga sig i väggen - ynkliga 2103 meter.
And we both are longing for you.
POK / MOP

Unknown said...

O my god. So high, like a Triglav, we call it.

Peter said...

Higher, correct?